Tasting Entry- Feb 14 2021

 Wine: Insomnia Cabernet Sauvignon 2018

Region: Buellton,California

Blend of Grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon 

Winery Review: A touch of minerals hits at the end that comes across as bitter was the only discordant note. Great price. 3.5Nice dark color Notes of some oak and Tobacco Bold Dark fruit like blackberry with chocolate Medium body Semi sweet Can't get over the cool label.

Wine Folly Review: This wine had hints of a full body, but also had bitter notes like the winery review stated. There was definitely an earthier secondary aroma in the wine(pg30-36). There were definitely fruit forward flavors evident in the wine as well. It did taste similar to other cab sauv's that I have had, but also had different notes to it. I was not able to taste the tobacco really because I don't know what tobacco tastes like. 

My review: I really enjoyed this wine with a few of my friends and while I did not taste the tobacco hints I still was able to like this wine. I did not eat any food while I drank this wine because quite honestly I forgot to go grocery shopping in time and all I have in my kitchen are potato chips. This wine did dry out my tongue a little bit meaning it was a little high on the tannins but I still got through a couple of glasses. 

I rate this 3.5/5 browns. 


BONUS: Soils commonly found here are calcareous soils: limestone and chalk, which help maintain acidity; diatomaceous earth (tiny, marine creature skeletons, high in silica) which creates concentrated wines, clay loams which retain moisture for thirsty vines, and sandy loams which make more fruit driven styles.

This bit was from https://www.samsarawine.com/terroir-of-santa-barbara-wine-country/ that details the terroir around Santa Barbara County which is where Buellton, California is located. 








Comments